Monday, December 13, 2004

Doing the holiday thing

I'm not decorating my house for Christmas. There, I've said it. I didn't inherit the decorating gene from Momma, Shannon got that. Funny thing is, I can help other folks figure out what looks good at their house, but I get all weird when it comes to my own home. I worry about how it looks when in the long run it doesn't matter that much. I've recently been trying to examine my feelings on household decor. Vance and I are trying to cut back, 'de-stuff' and de-clutter, sell some stuff on e-bay, etc. It flies in the face of what I grew up with, things like Momma's pretty Lladros in the display case. I love my Momma and Daddy's house, and I recognize that she really has a knack for making things look nice. So is it insulting to her to have a daughter who appreciates the thought of another Precious Moments figurine but would really rather have a gift certificate for a spa day or even Home Depot? We're heading to my parents' house a week from tomorrow and I know it will be beautifully decorated (and not smell too much like cinnamon b/c it makes me sneezy). I'm looking forward to being able to spend time with the family, but will be struggling with falling back in to my old, overcommercialized habits. Ah, the holidays.

2 comments:

Vance said...

It was either late November or early December of 2001, we were about to get married. We were driving around town running errands or something, and Michelle said "We need to go to Wal-Mart and pick up a Christmas tree!".

Now, I had already started moving some of my stuff over to her house, the house I was going to move into as soon as we got married. I had been living with Michael for about two years, and we didn't decorate AT ALL. For ANY holiday. Guys just don't tend to do that.

I told Michelle "Let's not worry about decorating this year, we've got so much going on...we won't even be in Tallahassee for Christmas...etc."

She started to cry. Maybe it was the stress of the holidays combined with putting together our wedding, combined with her last semester of classes, etc...I don't know. But, she was upset about not having a tree the first Christmas of our marriage.

Needless to say, we bought a tree. And here we are three years later (Happy Anniversary, dear!) and she doesn't want to decorate. I'm OK with that. I'm not against decorating, if you've got the time and energy, go for it. It just doesn't do anything for me.

(Bah Humbug?)

Charity said...

Greetings...How funny! If it weren't for my 2 daughters (8&11), and my noles loving husband, I would have a sudden conviction against Christmas trees (surely I could find something to back it..haha). Ours is finally down and I am already dreading the days that I have to dig through the things I have piled on top of the decorations, and do the dreadful task all over again....and blah, blah, blah...